Undergraduate Study

This section describes academic policies and requirements for students enrolled as an undergraduate and University requirements for undergraduate academic programs.

Campus Testing Centers

The Campus Testing Center and the Online Testing Center are administratively housed in PCS. In March 2014, the Campus Testing Center moved to 93 J.C. Penney Conference Center (JCP), adjacent to the Online Testing Center. The Campus Testing Center provides proctored testing by appointment for students to take make-up class exams or to test under conditions where special accommodations are needed and authorized. Students may also take campus level exams (e.g., Major Field Exam) outside the scheduled group sessions for a fee, as well as independent study course exams and various standardized exams. The Online Testing Center, located in room 94 JCP, is available for proctored exams using MyGateway (or other online assessment programs).


The University of Missouri has been directed by the Board of Curators to assess the outcomes of your university education. To this end, two types of assessment are required: A test of general educational development given to a sample of incoming freshmen and graduating seniors who represent the university; and a test or project, specified by the major department, given to graduating seniors.

For its continuous quality improvements, the University also conducts periodic surveys of student engagement. As alumni, graduates are encouraged to participate in assessment by completing questionnaires sent to them by the University or major department/college.

Credit Hours

All candidates for baccalaureate degrees must complete a minimum of 120 semester hours. At least 45 of these hours must be courses numbered 2000 or above (or comparable courses transferred). Students must maintain a minimum 2.0 grade point average overall, as well as in their area of specialization. Students seeking two degrees must meet all degree and residency requirements of each degree.

Math and English Proficiency Requirement

Students who have not satisfied the Math and English proficiency requirement by the end of their first semester at UMSL will receive an advising hold and must meet with an Academic Advisor to register in these gateway courses in order for the hold to be removed.

Junior-Level Writing

A Junior-Level writing course with a grade of C- or above is required for all undergraduate degrees. The following courses will meet the requirement:

ENGL 3090Turning the Kaleidoscope: How We Look at Texts3
ENGL 3100Junior-Level Writing3
ENGL 3110Junior Level Writing for International Students3
ENGL 3120Business Writing3
ENGL 3130Technical Writing3
ENGL 3160Writing in the Sciences3
HONORS 3100Honors Advanced Composition: Writing The City3

Academic Residence

Students must be in residence for at least 24 of the last 30 hours of graded credit (exclusive of courses graded on a satisfactory/unsatisfactory basis), except under unusual circumstances, to be decided by the dean.

General Education 

Students must successfully complete the General Education requirements of the University, the school or college in which they are enrolled, and the specific requirements of their area of specialization. For more information about the University’s requirements go to the General Education Program section of the bulletin.


To better assist students and confirm graduation eligibility, it is required that students notify their academic unit of their intended graduation date. This allows the advisors to begin the degree check process and approve the student for graduation. Students need to officially apply to graduate through the self-service student center in MyView. Step by step instructions can be found here: 


  • The application for graduation process initiates the degree-check process.
  • It is recommended that students complete the application for graduation one year in advance to ensure all requirements will be met. (Note: certain colleges may require the one year prior completion date – check with your advisor to be sure). The application for graduation process should be completed based on college specific deadlines.
  • In order to graduate in any given semester, students must apply prior to the deadline for that semester:
    • Fall term: October 1 
    • Spring term: March 1 
    • Summer term June 1 
  • The process to apply will be cut off at that time and if the student has not yet completed the steps to apply for graduation, the diploma will then be awarded the following semester. (In extreme circumstances, a student may appeal their case to the dean’s office if the deadlines have passed).

Changes to anticipated graduation date

  • Students who need to alter their graduation plans must notify their academic unit and re-submit the application for graduation process through self-service on MyView.
  • The semester and other information listed when re-submitting the new application for graduation process will be used to replace the information previously submitted.
  • All deadlines for the new semester of graduation apply to applicants who are altering their semester of graduation.

Final Grades

To assure graduating at the end of a specific semester, all work for that semester and any delayed grades from previous semesters must be completed with the grades sent to the Office of the Registrar no later than the official date for submission of final semester grades.

Graduation, commencement, diplomas and honors

  • Graduation refers to the process of completing a degree and takes place three times per year at UMSL: at the end of each Spring, Summer, and Fall semester.
  • Commencement refers to the ceremony celebrating graduation and occurs twice per year at the end of the Fall and Spring semesters. (Students graduating in summer may participate in either the following Fall ceremony or the prior Spring ceremony). Commencement is optional and participating in commencement does not mean that a student has graduated
  • Diplomas are a ceremonial document indicating the degree a student earned. The transcript is the official academic record. 

Cultural Diversity Requirement.

To expand cultural awareness, students in some academic units may be required to complete a course that emphasizes Asian, African, Middle Eastern, Latin American, Pacific aboriginal, Native American, or a comparable culture. Courses that satisfy this requirement involve substantial material independent of the cultures' interactions with European cultures. If a course focuses on one facet of a culture, it must treat the topic within the context of the culture as a whole. This requirement may be met by one of the following courses:

ANTHRO 1011Introduction To Cultural Anthropology3
ANTHRO 1019Introduction To Archaeology3
ANTHRO 1021The Body in Culture3
ANTHRO 1025World Cultures3
ANTHRO 1033World Archaeology3
ANTHRO 1041Sex and Gender Across Cultures3
ANTHRO 1052The Olympic Games: Ideals and Reality3
ANTHRO 1091Introductory Topics in Anthropology3
ANTHRO 2100Languages and World View3
ANTHRO 2101Girl Cultures3
ANTHRO 2104Medicine in Culture and History3
ANTHRO 2111Cultures of East Asia3
ANTHRO 2114Cultures of the Near and Middle East3
ANTHRO 2120Native Peoples of North America3
ANTHRO 2121Native American Spirituality3
ANTHRO 2123Cultures of Oceania3
ANTHRO 2124Introduction to Contemporary African Cultures3
ANTHRO 2131Archaeology of Missouri3
ANTHRO 2132Archaeology of North America3
ANTHRO 2134Archaeology of The Inca, Aztec, And Maya3
ANTHRO 2139Shamans, Serpents, and Spirits: Archaeology of the Borderlands3
ANTHRO 2191Special Topics In Non-Western Culture3
ANTHRO 3235Women In Subsaharan Africa: A Contemporary Perspective3
ANTHRO 3237Contemporary Japanese Culture3
ANTHRO 4000Ethnographic Field Research Methods3
ART HS 1104Indigenous Arts of North America3
ART HS 1105Introduction to the Arts of Africa3
ART HS 1108Introduction to the Arts of Asia3
ART HS 4408Topics in the Arts of Asia3
CHINESE 2150Chinese Literature In Translation3
EDUC 4000International Education Field Experience2-4
ENGL 2280Contemporary World Literature3
ENGL 2510World Literature Before 16503
FGN LANG 2100Languages and World View3
GEOG 2001Cultural Geography3
HIST 1041East Asian Civilization3
HIST 1042East Asian Civilization3
HIST 1051Latin American Civilization3
HIST 1061African Civilization: from the Beginning of Humanity to the End of the Slave Trade3
HIST 1062African Civilization II: From Colonies to Nations3
HIST 2012The Indian in American History3
HIST 2063African Diaspora to Abolition of the Slave Trade3
HIST 2064African Diaspora in the Age of Migration3
HIST 3032Modern China: From the Decline of the Qing Empire to the Global Age3
HONORS 1310Non-Western Traditions Series Humanities3
HONORS 1330Non-Western Traditions Series-Social Sciences3
HONORS 2310Cultural Diversity in the Humanities3
HONORS 2330Cultural Diversity in the Social Sciences3
JAPAN 1011Anime Nation: Popular Culture in Japan3
JAPAN 2191Special Topics in Japanese Culture3
JAPAN 3210Japanese Culture and Society3
JAPAN 3211Topics in Japanese Culture3
M H L T 1090Non-Western Music I3
M H L T 1150Drumming Cultures of the World3
M H L T 1160Musical Journey through Latin America3
M H L T 1170Musical Journey through the Far East3
M H L T 1180Musical Journal Through Africa3
M H L T 1190Musical Journey of the Native North American3
MVS 2200Examining Cultural Experiences of Veterans3
PHIL 1120Asian Philosophy3
PHIL 1125Islamic Philosophy3
POL SCI 1500Introduction to Comparative Politics3
POL SCI 1550Women and Politics in the Developing World3
POL SCI 2530Political Systems Of South America3
POL SCI 2540Political Systems of Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean3
POL SCI 2580African Politics3
POL SCI 3500The Politics of the Middle East: International and National Dynamics3
POL SCI 3800Media, Film, and International Politics3
POL SCI 4520Mega-Cities and Diasporas: Understanding Global Migration3
SOC 3237Contemporary Japanese Culture3
THEATR 1850Introduction to Non-Western Theatre3

Declaring a Major

A student’s first major, or undeclared major status, is determined by his or her application for admission. Students who have not declared a major at 60 credit hours (junior status) will receive an advising hold and must declare a major with an academic unit before this hold is removed. Transfer students arriving at UMSL with 60 or more credit hours will receive an advising hold preventing them from registering for their second semester until they have declared a major. They can declare a major by following the procedures for a change of major outlined below.

Change of Major

While applying, students are typically not certain about the requirements for a major at UMSL. Students are encouraged to explore majors through professors, advisors, the Career Center, and co-curricular activities during their first semester at UMSL. If they want to change their major, they are encouraged to do so before their second semester at UMSL.

To change academic majors, students should consult the advising office of the new major to determine their eligibility and which courses they have already completed apply toward the new major. Students must then submit the appropriate forms at the office of the college or school of their new major.

Course Schedules

The Schedule of Courses contains the specific courses offered each semester with their meeting times and locations. This schedule is available online.

Course schedules are generally published in mid-March for the fall semester, mid-October for the spring semester, and mid-January for the summer semester.

The university reserves the right to cancel without notice any course listed in the Bulletin or the Schedule of Courses for any semester or to withdraw any course that that does not have adequate enrollment.


Newly admitted/re-admitted students are eligible to register after the close of the pre-registration period. Enrollment dates, Semester Calendars, and courses offerings can be found online at the Registration website.

Registering for Classes: Currently Enrolled Students

Currently enrolled students are given the opportunity to preregister, by appointment, before new or returning students. Pre-registration appointment times are sent to students’ university email and can also be found by logging into MyView.

Registering for Classes: Former Students

Former UMSL students who have not been enrolled for a year must submit a reenrollment application.

Priority Registration

Student athletes and military-connected students are eligible for priority registration and may enroll on the first day that registration begins. Military-connected students include veterans, those currently serving in the military, Reserves, or National Guard, and other students that are using a VA or DoD program to fund their education. Student athletes are members of any NCAA intercollegiate sport team at UMSL.

Registration Cancellation

Students who have enrolled but do not wish to attend the university may cancel their registration any time before the first day of the semester. Students must complete a withdrawal survey online. Cancellations may be processed at the Office of the Registrar.

Students may withdraw from school beginning the first day of classes. The refund schedule for withdrawals after class work begins can be found on the Cashier's Office website. Students who are withdrawing must complete a withdrawal survey.  Withdrawals may be processed at the Office of the Registrar.

Prerequisites for a Course

Students are expected to review all courses when registering for them to assure that they meet all prerequisites. When the prerequisites include courses, a minimum grade of C- is required to meet the prerequisite. Only the department offering the course with the prerequisite can make an exception to this requirement. A course with an "academic standing" prerequisite--for example, "senior standing"-- requires that students have the class standing stated, in the example, only seniors can take that class.

Adding Courses

Students may add courses during the first week of a sixteen-week semester. Students with specific academic holds may be required to obtain approval from their advisor to change their schedule. Students may not add courses without instructor approval after the first week of class of a sixteen-week semester, the first four days of class of an eight-week session, or the first three days of class of a four-week session.  Students are responsible for any content or assignments missed if they add a course after it has already met.

Dropping Courses

Courses may be dropped in MyView, without faculty approval and without receiving a grade, through the fourth week of classes of a sixteen-week semester, the second week of classes of an eight-week session and the first week of classes of a four-week session. Students with specific academic holds may be required to obtain approval from their advisor to change their schedule. Semester and session calendars posted on the registrar’s website include specific deadline dates for dropping courses. Students who officially drop any of their classes may have fees reassessed and/or refunded based on the current fee reassessment schedule posted on the cashier’s website.  Courses dropped during this period will not appear on transcripts.

From the 5th week to the end of the 8th week of a sixteen-week semester, students may continue to drop courses in MyView without instructor approval. A grade of “EX” (excused) will be issued on the transcript. Refer to the calendar posted on the registrar’s website for summer or winter session withdrawal deadlines.  From the 9th week to the end of the 12th week dropping courses will require instructor approval.  Students receiving approval to drop during this period will be issued either an EX, or “EX-F” (excused but failing) if the student was failing at the time of dropping.  The EX and EX-F grades will be posted to transcripts, but neither one will be used in calculating the GPA. Students who wish to withdraw after the end of the 12th week must provide documentation of exigent circumstance and receive both the instructor’s permission and approval of the dean.  

Dropping or withdrawing from a course may adversely impact scholarships, financial aid, and progress toward graduation.  Students are strongly urged to discuss these possibilities with the financial aid office and their academic advisors before dropping or withdrawing.

Students registered in a course in which they fail to meet a minimal level of participation as deemed by the instructor will be issued a grade of “FN” (Failure, Non-participation).  The FN grade indicates that the student is not regularly attending class or is making little or no attempts on assignments or activities and may be violating the terms of financial assistance.  This grade is equivalent to an F for GPA calculations. 

Section Changing

Section changing is normally completed during the first week of a regular semester, the first four days of an eight-week session and the first three days of a four-week session. Approvals may not be necessary during this time. However, after the first week of a regular semester, the first four days of an eight-week session, and the first three days of a four-week session, a section change form must be obtained from the department or dean's office. The signature of both instructors is required. The form is to be submitted to the Registration Office, 269 Millennium Student Center.

Withdrawing from the University after Classes Begin

After classes begin, students may withdraw from the university by completing the withdrawal form, available in the dean's office. During the first four weeks of a regular semester students may withdraw from the university without receiving grades. After this period, grades of F or "Excused" are issued, based on whether the student is passing or failing. After the regular semester's twelfth week, "Excused" grades are given only in exceptional instances with the instructor's and the dean's approvals. These grades are recorded on the student's official record at the end of the term. An F grade is counted in computing the grade point average. No partial credit is granted to students who withdraw from school during any semester or otherwise fail to complete the work required for full course credit. Students who stop attending classes without officially withdrawing from the university are issued an F or an FN grade. Both F and FN grades are counted in computing grade point averages. Fall, spring, and summer session calendars list specific withdrawal dates.

Repeating Courses.

Students may not repeat for grade point average or credit hour purposes courses in which grades of A, A­-, B+, B, B-­, C+, or C­ have been earned. Subsequent grades in such a course that is repeated will not be included in the GPA calculations. The course hours will be counted only once in calculating hours toward a degree.

Grade Modification

When the grade received in an initial attempt in a course at UMSL is a C-, D+, D, D­-, F, or FN, the grade may be replaced in the calculation of the GPA by the grade received in a second or subsequent attempt of the same course at UMSL. All grades received in second and subsequent attempts will be included in GPA calculations. All attempts of a given course will appear on the official transcript with the grade(s) earned. The transcript will have an explanation that states that the GPA is calculated using all grades earned in a course except the initial attempt when a course has been repeated and grade modified.

Note: Grade modification is not automatic. After completing the second or subsequent attempt of the course to be modified, students must process the necessary paperwork with an academic adviser in the academic unit in which the student is currently enrolled.

Academic Probation and Suspension

Students whose campus cumulative grade point average falls below 2.0 will be placed on University Academic Probation. Notification of probationary status will be sent to students each fall and spring term from the Office of Academic Affairs. Students placed on academic probation are restricted to a maximum of 12 credits for the following semester and required to meet with an academic advisor.  Students placed on academic probation may also be required to participate in programs designed to help them return to good academic standing. Students whose campus cumulative GPA falls under 2.0 after serving two semesters on probation (not necessarily consecutive) will be suspended from the university. Students should consult with their respective dean's office for additional information.

Students who earn a grade point average of 0.0 in their first semester at UMSL will be suspended.

Students suspended from one school or college within the university shall not be admitted to any other school or college until they are eligible for readmission to the university. In order for suspended students to be considered for readmission to the university they must successfully complete at least one semester at an accredited post-secondary institution.


Students are expected to attend class regularly, and, in accordance with the UMSL Bylaws, faculty may establish penalties for excessive absences. Students absent for more than three successive classes may be reported to the dean. Students should tell their dean's office of an extended absence. An absence known in advance should be reported to the instructors of courses that will be missed. Makeup of examinations or work missed is allowed at the instructor's discretion. Students excused from class for valid reasons by their deans shall be permitted, if possible, to make up work missed; the dean must have notified the instructor in writing.


Students may enroll as auditors in any course with the prior consent of the instructor and dean of the college in which the auditors desire to be registered. They may be dropped from the course when, in the judgment of the instructor and dean, their record justifies such action. Auditors are charged full fees and receive no academic credit.

Course Numbering

Each course bears a distinguishing number that identifies it within the department or academic unit and indicates, broadly, the expected level of students taking the course. To understand the course level, refer to the following guidelines:

Course Numbers



Courses that do not count toward the minimum requirements for any degree.

Lower Division:


Courses open to undergraduate students, primarily focused toward freshmen; courses count toward the minimum for given degrees.


Courses open to undergraduate students, primarily focused toward sophomores; courses count toward the minimum for given degrees

Upper Division:


Courses open to undergraduate students, primarily focused toward junior; courses count toward the minimum for given degrees.


Courses open to undergraduate and graduate students, primarily focused toward seniors; courses count toward the minimum for given undergraduate degrees; depending on the specific program, courses may count for a given graduate degree.



Graduate courses; also open to post-baccalaureate educator certification candidates and undergraduate seniors with permission from the Dean of the Graduate School. Courses count toward the minimum for given graduate degrees.


Graduate courses open to master’s degree and doctoral students. Courses count toward the minimum for given graduate degrees.


Graduate courses open to doctoral students and master’s degree students with special permission. Courses count toward the minimum for specific graduate degrees.



Courses open to optometry degree seeking students.

Credit Hours

The university credit unit is the semester hour, which represents a subject pursued one period weekly for one semester of approximately 16 weeks or for a total of approximately 16 periods for one term. Generally, a course valued at three semester hours meets for three periods weekly for one semester, a two­credit course two periods a week for a semester, and so on. Normally, the lecture or recitation period is 50 minutes long and the laboratory period one hour and 50 minutes.

The number of credit hours is listed as units in the online Schedule of Courses. If the credit is variable (to be determined in consultation with the instructor) it is shown by minimum and maximum units, such as Research 1 – 3 units. In the Bulletin, credit hours are included in parentheses after each course title e.g., Research (2-8).


Examinations may be given only at regular class meeting times or as designated by the Senate Committee on Curriculum and Instruction.

Final Examinations.

The period designated for final examinations is an important component of the academic term. It provides faculty with a final opportunity to evaluate student learning and attainment of course objectives. Faculty members are encouraged to meet with students during the final examination period.

A faculty member who gives an in-class final examination may give this examination only on the day and at the time designated in the official final examination schedule. A majority vote of the students to the contrary does not change this policy.

A student may submit a written request for a change in the scheduled time of the final examination for a limited number of documented hardship reasons. These reasons include, but are not limited to, being scheduled to take more than two examinations on the same day, illness, military obligations, and religious practices. Except for emergencies, this request should be presented directly to the instructor at least two weeks before classes conclude. If the request is denied, the student may request additional consideration from the chairperson/area coordinator/program director and, if denied, to the dean of the college sponsoring the course.

Repeating Courses.

Students may not repeat for grade point average or credit hour purposes courses in which grades of A, A­-, B+, B, B-­, C+, or C­ have been earned. Subsequent grades in such a course that is repeated will not be included in the GPA calculations. The course hours will be counted only once in calculating hours toward a degree.

Grading System

The grading system available to all faculty at UMSL consists of:

Letter Grade Ranking
EX-FExcused but failing
FNFailure/Non Participation

Faculty have full discretion in using full-letter grades, plus/minus grades, or any combination of full-letter and plus/minus grades. The student’s grade point average is computed by dividing the total quality points (number of credit hours for a course, multiplied by the grade value received) by the number of hours taken (excluding grade modified hours). Students at UMSL may have three separate Grade Point Averages. The first is the Campus GPA, which is computed by dividing the quality points earned from the grades of each course taken through UMSL by the total course hours attempted at UMSL. Students who have attended any of the other three universities within the University of Missouri System will also have a System GPA, which is computed by dividing the quality points earned from every course taken from a campus within the UM System. In addition, transfer students from outside the UM System will also have a transfer GPA, which is computed from all courses the student has taken outside the UMSL campus or the UM System. It is calculated by dividing the quality points of all courses by the hours attempted.

Unless a specific request is made through the Registrar’s Office, the University of Missouri System does not distribute grade reports to students via postal mail. Final course grades can be obtained electronically by any of the following methods:

To access grades through the My Gateway system, students must know Single Sign On (SSO) ID and password, available through MyGateway.

Students may also view their grades on MyView, by following this path: Self Service > Student Center > Grade Tab under Academic History; select semester.

Students may request a printed copy of the grade report at no charge. Once requested, the grade report will be mailed to the official address of record. Requests may be made by phone, mail, e-mail, fax, or in person; contact information is available at the Registration website.

Delayed Grade

A student whose work is incomplete at the end of any semester and who has, in the instructor's judgment, sufficient reasons for failing to complete the work, may, with the approval of the instructor, be assigned a delayed grade. If an instructor does not report a grade to the registrar within one semester the grade automatically becomes F. The dean may, in unusual circumstances, extend this time limitation (summer session is not counted as a semester).

Failure/Non participation

When students do not complete any graded assignments but do not officially withdraw from the course or the university, instructors may assign an FN. The F for Non-Participation cannot be changed to a grade and will be treated in GPA calculations as an F.

Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory Option

Undergraduate students may take up to 18 credit hours on a satisfactory/ unsatisfactory (S/U) grading basis. This includes courses taken as electives or those that satisfy general education requirements. Most courses required for a specific degree may not be taken on a satisfactory/ unsatisfactory basis. Academic departments may designate other courses within their jurisdiction that may not be taken under the option.

A satisfactory grade “S” is recorded when an instructor assigns the grade of A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+, C or C-, and has no numerical value in computing students' cumulative grade point average; however, it does satisfy credit-hour-for graduation requirements. An unsatisfactory grade “U” is recorded when an instructor assigns the grades of D+, D, D-, or F. A course assigned a “U” grade will not satisfy credit hours for graduation. Grades will be recorded on transcripts as S or U

Students register for courses in the normal manner and may exercise the satisfactory/unsatisfactory option before the end of the first four weeks of a regular semester (or the first two weeks of a summer session). Requests for this option are made through the appropriate dean's office. Instructors are not informed of students taking courses on a satisfactory/unsatisfactory basis until submitting course grades.


Audit has no numerical value in computing students' cumulative grade point average, nor does it satisfy any credit-hour graduation requirements.

Grade Modification

When the grade received in an initial attempt in a course at UMSL is a C-, D+, D, D­-, F, or FN, the grade may be replaced in the calculation of the GPA by the grade received in a second or subsequent attempt of the same course at UMSL. All grades received in second and subsequent attempts will be included in GPA calculations. All attempts of a given course will appear on the official transcript with the grade(s) earned. The transcript will have an explanation that states that the GPA is calculated using all grades earned in a course except the initial attempt when a course has been repeated and grade modified.

Note: Grade modification is not automatic. After completing the second or subsequent attempt of the course to be modified, students must process the necessary paperwork with an academic adviser in the academic unit in which the student is currently enrolled.

Academic Renewal

Academic Renewal allows all courses, credits, and grades during specific term(s) to be excluded from the GPA calculation. The courses will remain on the permanent academic record but the record will be annotated so that it is readily evident that no credits earned during those excluded terms, even if satisfactory, will apply towards units for graduation.  Students seeking their first degree who return to UMSL after an absence of at least 12 months may apply for Academic Renewal for semesters completed prior to their absence after re-admission and successful completion of 12 credit hours at a 2.0 GPA or better.   Recipients of Academic Renewals are not eligible for Latin Honors or academic awards.  Applications for Academic Renewal must be completed with an academic advisor and will require evidence of likelihood of future academic success to receive dean’s approval.  A student may be granted Academic Renewal only once in their academic career at UMSL.

The implementation of this policy will follow the general procedures listed below. Students must apply for the renewal and demonstrate academic success in twelve credit hours before the renewal is granted.

Non-enrolled students:

  1. Students not enrolled will have to discuss Academic Renewal with an academic advisor and may apply for Academic Renewal in the dean’s office of the college of students’ major or College of Arts & Science for those undeclared.
  2. Students should follow normal procedures for re-admission. Students denied re-admission, but eligible for academic renewal, should discuss their case with an enrollment advisor. 
  3. Students may be accepted for re-admission on probationary status.
  4. After earning 12 credit hours in their major or in required classes with at least a 2.0 GPA, students complete the Academic Renewal process by requesting approval of the dean or designee.

Enrolled students:

  1. Continuing students may initiate the Academic Renewal process by conferring with their advisor about the impact of the process on their graduation plans.
  2. Implications of Academic Renewal on financial aid should also be discussed with Financial Aid office staff.
  3. Should continuing students wish to pursue the Academic Renewal process, they may apply in the dean’s office of the college of students’ major or College of Arts & Science for those undeclared.

Dean's List

At the end of each semester the College of Arts and Sciences, College of Business Administration, College of Education, College of Fine Arts and Communication, and College of Nursing send letters of commendation to undergraduates completing at least nine hours of graded courses with grade point averages of 3.2 or above for the semester. In addition, each college and school, on an annual basis, sends letters of commendation to part­time undergraduate students who have earned a 3.2 grade point average or above in at least nine but not more than 17 graded hours during the fall and spring semesters combined.

Degree with Distinction in Research, Scholarship or Creativity in the Arts


A degree with distinction in research, scholarship or creativity in the arts is an honor that recognizes a student for outstanding accomplishments in research and/or other creative endeavors. Students majoring in any undergraduate degree program that have obtained a minimum of 75 credits, have begun research, scholarship or creative endeavors of exceptional quality, have a minimum GPA of 3.5, and have a faculty mentor may apply for candidacy during their final year before graduation. Candidates must produce a novel body of work that includes publication-quality research data from which to generate a senior thesis or a body of artistic accomplishments that can be displayed and/or presented (exhibitions, recitals, software demonstrations, etc.) as part of an exhibition or performance. Candidates may use research or accomplishments obtained through Independent Research or Study courses, fellowships, internships, and voluntary work toward the degree with distinction. Candidates must present and successfully defend their body of original work, project, or senior thesis to a faculty review committee.

The faculty review committee will consist of the faculty mentor and at least two faculty members who work within a relevant field of study and are qualified to examine the candidate’s body of work. Mentors will identify at least two faculty members who are an appropriate fit and are willing to serve on the committee. These recommendations should be included on the application for candidacy.  Interested students must submit an application for candidacy to their departmental chairperson or program director at least one semester before graduation, and the candidates must successfully defend or present their work no later than six weeks before the end of the semester in which they graduate.  The specific criteria for achieving this distinction will be provided by each department or program.

Students awarded the Distinction designation will have such an acknowledgment placed on their transcript and their degree and will be so recognized at graduation.  

Sequence for completion:

  1. Find an UMSL faculty mentor willing to guide or accommodate you through your specific creative works.  For some disciplines, potential mentors may require students to enroll in independent research or independent studies courses.
  2. Begin or continue your research or creative works.
  3. Apply for candidacy once you have earned 75 credit hours.
  4. Fulfill the requirements for your discipline’s senior thesis (if required by your discipline).
  5. Maintain a GPA of 3.5 or higher.
  6. Defend your thesis or body of work and submit the Preliminary Approval for the Degree with Distinction form to your College Dean no later than 6 weeks prior to commencement.
  7. Graduate with a Degree With Distinction.

Latin Honors

To graduate with Latin honors, students must have attended UMSL for at least 56 graded hours and must meet the following qualifications based on the college in which a student's major is housed: a GPA in the top 3% for summa cum laude; a GPA in the next top 5% for magna cum laude; a GPA in the next top 12% for cum laude.  Ranking of GPAs is based on a five-year rolling average of all GPAs for the College in which the student’s major is housed.  Qualifying GPAs are determined each academic year based on a five-year rolling average of all GPAs for graduates of the college in which the student's major is housed. Specific Latin honors GPA cutoffs for each college are posted under "General Information" or "Undergraduate Study" in the Bulletin listing for that college. If a student has the necessary GPA at UMSL to qualify for Latin honors but has fewer than 56 graded hours at UMSL, all credit hours and the associated grades earned within the UM System will be included when the total credit hours earned in the UM System are at least 80 graded hours. In determining one's eligibility for Latin honors, all UM System graded hours will be considered, including the original grade in each grade-modified course. No Latin honor higher than that which is consistent with the UMSL grade point average will be awarded. All honors must be recommended by the student's major department. Students who have been found to have committed an act or acts of academic dishonesty as verified by Academic Affairs are not eligible for a Latin Honor.

Each College may add additional qualifications on the awarding of Latin Honors such as community service, capstone course completion (including approved relevant thesis), original research or scholarship, etc. Each College will submit their plans for the qualifications for Latin Honors to the appropriate shared governance body for approval before their plan becomes active.

Office of National Scholarship Information

The mission of the Office of National Scholarship Information (ONSI) at the University of Missouri-St Louis is to provide campus wide access to merit-based scholarship information and opportunities. The most well-known of these merit-based scholarships include the Rhodes, British Marshall, Goldwater, Udall, Truman, and Fulbright, although numerous other prestigious, and often unique, opportunities exist for outstanding students. For further information, contact the Honors College at (314) 516-5243.


Admission policies and procedures vary according to each applicant’s educational goals and prior educational experiences. This section contains information for First-Time Freshmen, Transfer Students, Returning UMSL Students, Visiting Students, Non-Degree Students, and UMSL Express for senior citizens. The Office of Admissions website contains links to applications for all categories of applicants.

Admission for First-Time Freshmen

The University of Missouri System has a uniform policy for admission of freshman students to its four campuses. The procedure for regular admission from high school is based on high school class rank, performance on a standardized college aptitude test, and required high school units.

Application Procedures

Students applying as first-­time freshmen (i.e., students applying directly from high school) need to submit the following:

  1. A completed Undergraduate Application
    • Application information available from the Office of Admissions website, by phone 314-516-5451, email admissions@umsl.edu, or in person (351 Millennium Student Center). Students may also apply using the Common Application. Search for "University of Missouri-St Louis".
  2. Application Fee of $35.00 ($40.00 for international students) may be paid by:
    • A check or money order made payable to UMSL
    • A credit card during the online application procedure
    • Cash, check, or credit card by appearing in person at the Office of Admissions in 351 Millennium Student Center.
  3. High School Transcript and Class Rank.
    • A transcript must be sent directly from your high school to the UMSL Office of Admissions. The transcript should indicate class rank (for schools that rank), all coursework, and, when available, date of graduation. College aptitude test scores are required and may be submitted via this transcript or directly from the testing agency
    • Students from Non-Ranking High Schools:
      Students applying for Undergraduate Admission who attend high schools that do not rank will be evaluated on a combination of high school grade point average in the required core courses and standardized test scores.
  4. College Aptitude Test
    • Freshman admission requires that a test score be submitted from one of the following:
      • American College Testing Program (ACT):
        The ACT is administered at many locations across the country. Information is available from http://www.actstudent.org/, or your high school counselor. The ACT School Code for UMSL is 2383.
      • Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT):
        The SAT is administered at many locations across the country. Testing information is available on the Collegeboard website. The SAT School Code for UMSL is 6889.

When to Apply

Qualified applicants are admitted and notified by letter of their admission in the order that completed applications are received. Applications for the upcoming Fall semester are processed beginning September 1 on the basis of six or more high school semesters.

Admission Requirements

Any high school graduate may be admitted with evidence indicating he or she meets the following requirements:

At least 17 units of credit (One unit=one year in class) as follows:

  • English: Four units. Two units emphasizing composition or writing skills. One of the remaining two units may be in speech or debate
  • Mathematics: Four units (Algebra 1 and higher)
  • Science: Three units not including general science, one of the three units must be a laboratory course
  • Social Studies: Three units
  • Fine Arts: One unit
  • Foreign Language: Two units of a single foreign language
  • Math and foreign language units may be accepted from middle/junior high school.

In addition to the 17-unit requirement, each applicant will be evaluated on high school rank and test score (ACT or SAT). Applicants with an ACT composite score of 24 or higher, SAT Total (CR+M) of 1090 or higher, or redesigned SAT of 1160 or higher, will be admitted without regard to class rank. 

If the ACT Composite score is between 17 to 23, SAT Total (Critical Reading and Math scores) is between 820 to 1080, or the redesigned SAT Total is between 900 to 1150, the applicant must meet the following high school class rank requirement or core GPA to qualify for admission.

ACT Combined SAT Reading & Math (Pre-March 2016) Redesigned SAT (Post-March 2016) High School Class Percentile Rank Core GPA
23 1050-1080 1130-1150 48 2.8
22 1020-1040 1100-1120 54 2.90
21 980-1010 1060-1090 62 3.05
20 940-970 1020-1050 69 3.20
19 900-930 980-1010 78 3.35
18 860-890 940-970 86 3.50
17 820-850 900-930 94 3.65

Automatic Admission

Applicants who:

  1. Rank in the top 10% of the graduating class of a Missouri high school; and
  2. Complete the college preparatory curriculum, which includes at least 17 units of credit (four units each of English and math, three units of social studies, two units of a single foreign language, and one unit of fine art); and
  3. Submit an ACT/SAT score.

WILL be eligible for automatic admission to any campus of the University of Missouri. *Students with an ACT composite score under 18, a SAT total (CR+M) less than 860, or a redesigned SAT below 940, may be required to participate in the Learning Enrichment for Academic Performance (LEAP) program.

Admission Appeals

Applicants who do not meet the minimum admissions criteria may still be admitted, depending on evidence of likely success and campus enrollment objectives.

Additional factors considered for admission may include:

  • Completion of a rigorous college preparatory curriculum
  • Evidence of hardship or unusual circumstances that hindered academic performance
  • Significant work experience and/or family responsibilities
  • Improvement over time in high school academic record.

Students who fall short of the admission criteria have the option to submit a letter of appeal to address one or more of the factors above. The appeal letter should be addressed to the Admissions Appeals Committee, and additional letters of support are encouraged from teachers, counselors, or principals.

For additional information regarding admission requirements, contact the Office of Admissions at 314-516-5451 or by e-mail at admissions@umsl.edu.


Upon graduation, applicants must submit a final high school transcript indicating their class rank (if available) and graduation date (sent directly from the high school). First-time freshmen are required to take the ALEKS placement assessment in mathematics.

Advanced Standing for Entering Freshmen

UMSL grants credit hours to entering freshmen who, through their performance on College Board Advanced Placement Tests and faculty-administered tests, demonstrate proficiency in certain college-level courses such as biology, chemistry, English, foreign languages, history, mathematics, political science, and physics. For further information and applications, contact College Board Placement AP Services by phone (888) 225-5427 or email apexams@info.collegeboard.org. The score-reporting institution code number for the University of Missouri-St. Louis is 6889. College Board will send the scores directly to the Director of Admissions.

Dual Credit

Accredited programs such as the Advanced Credit Program at the University of Missouri-St. Louis enable qualified high school juniors and seniors the opportunity to earn college credits while completing high school. Further information about the Advanced Credit Program may be obtained online or by calling 314-516-7005.

Dual High School/University Enrollment

Superior high school students may be admitted in a special student category to take one or more university courses on campus during their junior or senior years of high school or during the summers. Students must submit a dual enrollment application and a recommendation from the counselor or principal. Students are admitted on the evidence of academic excellence. Admission is limited and governed by available space, and students must meet the prerequisites for the course or courses selected. After reviewing the Dual Enrollment website, students or counselors may contact the College of Arts and Sciences at 314-516-5501 for more information.

College Level Examination Program

Applicants may earn advanced credit through the College Level Examination Program (CLEP). CLEP offers subject examinations for credit in specific areas. These examinations can be taken any time, provided the student has not taken a college credit course in the test area. Consultation with an UMSL advisor is highly recommended before taking an exam. CLEP tests are given in the Campus Testing Center by appointment only. Contact the Campus Testing Center at 314-516-6396, in person in 93 JCP, or through their website.

Credit for Military Service

Credit may be allowed for service training programs conducted by the various Armed Forces branches. The American Council of Education’s recommendations in A Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Services generally serve as a basis for granting such credit. To count toward a degree, the credit granted must be appropriate to the student's curriculum.

For more information, please visit http://www.umsl.edu/veterans/Prospective-Student-Veterans/Military-Academic-Credit.html.

Probationary Admission

It may be possible for applicants who do not meet the regular admission standards to be admitted on a trial basis. Applicants who do not meet minimum admission requirements can submit a letter of appeal to request probationary admission. The Admission Appeals Committee reviews each letter of appeal and makes decisions on a case-by-case basis.

High School Equivalency Applicants

Individuals may seek admission on the basis of passing the High School Equivalency (HiSET) test, formerly the General Education Development (GED) test, with a minimum HiSET score of 75 and a minimum of 15 in each of the five subsets; Language Arts-Reading, Language Arts-Writing, Mathematics, Science, and Social Studies or a GED score of 170 or higher if taken after January 1, 2014 (minimum 2500 for tests taken between January 1, 2002 and January 1, 2014; minimum score of 250 required for tests taken prior to January 1, 2002).

In addition, the following must be submitted:

  • A completed Undergraduate Application
  • A $35 non-refundable Application Fee ($40 for international students)
  • ACT composite score of at least 24 or SAT Composite of at least 1090
  • A high school transcript if ACT/SAT scores are included on the transcript.

Home-Schooled Students

UMSL welcomes home-schooled students. To be admitted for undergraduate admission, home-schooled applicants must present the following:

  • A completed Undergraduate Application (available online)
  • A $35 non-refundable Application Fee ($40 for international students)
  • ACT Composite score of 17-23 or SAT Composite of 820-1090 or redesigned SAT of 900-1150
  • A copy of course of study or transcript reflecting all coursework and grades earned, as well as a statement and date of graduation or completion.

If the home-schooled applicant has not completed all units required for graduation (completion), a test-score report of the High School Equivalency (HiSET) test, formerly the General Education Development (GED) test, with a minimum HiSET score of 75 and a minimum of 15 in each of the five subsets; Language Arts-Reading, Language Arts-Writing, Mathematics, Science, and Social Studies or a GED score of 2500 (for tests taken after January 1, 2002; minimum score of 250 required for tests taken prior to January 1, 2002).

Admission Information for Prospective Students With Prior College Credit

UMSL values transfer students, defined as a student transferring from another college or university with at least 24 earned semester hours of college-level work.

A transferring student who has completed fewer than 24 hours must apply under the procedures for admission to the freshman class with the additional requirement that they submit official transcripts from all college-level courses attempted at previous institutions that document at least a 2.3 GPA.

Students transferring from other colleges and universities with at least 24 hours must submit the following information:

  • A completed online Undergraduate Application
  • A $35 non-refundable Application Fee ($40 for international students)
  • Official transcripts from all colleges/universities attended. Hand-carried credentials are not accepted.

All credentials submitted for admission become the property of the University.

Suspended and Dismissed Transfer Students

It is the practice of the Office of Admissions at the University of Missouri-St. Louis to uphold any suspension or dismissal decision offered to a student from another institution. Students suspended will be required to sit out for one year from the date of suspension before enrolling in UMSL. In addition, students must still meet the minimum admission requirements of a 2.3 GPA. A student may need to attend another institution in order to increase his/her GPA. Students who have been dismissed from another institution may not enroll at the University.

Students who have been dismissed from a specific college or school within another institution will need to show proof that they are eligible to enroll and/or are back in good standing at the previous institution in order to enroll with UMSL.

Additionally, students who are suspended/dismissed from another UM institution shall not be admissible until after one year from the date of the suspension/dismissal. Even though a student is removed from suspension, the student must still meet the minimum admission requirements of a 2.3 GPA.

Missouri State Transfer Agreement.

Although transfer students should be aware that requirements for degrees vary from institution to institution, some transferred credits may not apply to UMSL programs, UMSL has attempted to minimize the loss of credits by adhering to the Missouri Coordinating Board of Higher Education (CBHE) Articulation Agreement. The agreement outlines statewide undergraduate general education requirements that satisfy the general requirements for students transferring into UMSL and students transferring out of UMSL to other public universities in the state.

UMSL requires mathematics and writing proficiency beyond the general requirements in the CBHE Statement. Please refer to the General Education requirements for details.

Transfer Credit

The articulation agreement among public institutions within the state of Missouri governs transfer of credit to UMSL from colleges and universities within the state of Missouri. These guidelines also apply to students transferring to UMSL from schools located outside Missouri. Advanced standing in the form of credit hours may be allowed for work satisfactorily completed in another public or private college or university of recognized standing located in the state of Missouri, as long as the work satisfies the requirements of the student's major.

The transcript at each institution includes all courses attempted. Grades of D or better earned in college-level work at an accredited or approved institution of higher education should receive full credit when transferred to UMSL. The University, however, will treat all grades on courses attempted on the same basis as that of a UMSL student. For example, if a program requires a UMSL student to repeat a specified course having earned a D grade, a transfer student will also be required to repeat the same course if it carries a D grade.

To maximize transfer credits from community colleges, UMSL has transfer guides and articulation agreements with area colleges. Should community college students have any question about the transferability of courses not in the articulation agreement, they should contact the appropriate Transfer Coordinator, preferably prior to taking a course.

Advanced Standing

Advanced standing includes credit by examination, examination that may or may not appear on a transfer student’s transcripts, including College Board Advanced Placement (AP), the College-Level Examination Program (CLEP), International Baccalaureate (IB), and Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education Support (DANTES). It also includes credit by portfolio review (Bachelor of Fine Arts only). These lower-division credits may not apply at the senior level. For examination credit, students should submit appropriate verification documents to the Office of Admissions before their first semester at UMSL. Students interested in the portfolio review should contact the Art Department. Early attention to these matters is essential to avoid unnecessary course work or repeats that can lead to loss of credit. If examinations are completed at a later date, verification documents should be submitted as soon as they are available.

Shortly after all official transcripts and other verifications are on file, students' previous academic records are evaluated to determine which courses are applicable, and students receive a written report of the results. Degree checks determining whether courses meet a specific degree requirement and whether courses are accepted as a part of the student's academic major are made in the office of the appropriate dean or advisor. Should there be any question concerning applicability of any courses, students should discuss this with that advisor.

Associate Degree Transfers from Community Colleges

A student admitted to the university and holding an associate degree (2.0 GPA or higher) applicable toward the baccalaureate degree will be accepted in junior standing. Students fulfilling the general education requirements outlined by the Missouri Coordinating Board of Higher Education and certified by the sending institution will have met the lower division general education requirements at UMSL. Students with AA degrees from Missouri institutions that include a CBHE approved general education core may transfer more than 64 credit hours for lower division courses. Any additional lower division course credits above 64 credit hours must be applicable to the baccalaureate degree or must be a prerequisite for an upper division course in the major. However, this does not exempt the student from meeting specialized lower-division degree requirements of specific departments. Courses completed in the associate degree program are evaluated for application to specific degree requirements by the same criteria used for transfer students from other colleges and universities.

Transfers Within the University of Missouri System.

Students must be in good standing at another campus of the University of Missouri to be eligible for admission. Students not in good standing will not be admissible until after one year from the date of the suspension/dismissal. Students must meet the minimum admission requirements of a 2.3 GPA.

Any course that leads to an undergraduate degree on any campus of the University of Missouri shall be accepted in transfer toward the same degree on any campus of the university offering that degree. Grades, including D and F grades, and honor points earned in such courses will also transfer and will be included in the cumulative grade point averages. Unresolved problems related to transferability of credit may be appealed to the office of the appropriate dean.

Students within the last 30 hours of graduation may take a limited number of courses at another campus in the UM system, provided the last 15 hours are taken at UMSL and the work is approved by their respective dean and department.

Metropolitan Rate

Starting in 2017-18, all undergraduate domestic students who live in the state of Illinois will pay the equivalent to the in-state rate. Undergraduate applications from students who live in Illinois are reviewed for eligibility automatically. No additional application is required.

Graduate applicants from the following Illinois counties will pay the equivalent to the in-state rate: Adams, Bond, Calhoun, Christian, Clinton, Greene, Jackson, Jefferson, Jersey, Macoupin, Madison, Marion, Monroe, Montgomery, Morgan , Pike, Randolph, Sangamon, Scott, St. Clair, Washington, and Williamson. Graduate applications from students who live in these select Illinois counties are reviewed for eligibility automatically. No additional application is required.

For more information visit http://www.umsl.edu/admissions/cost-of-attendance/metro.html

Midwest Student Exchange

The Midwest Student Exchange Program is an initiative designed by the Midwestern Higher Education Commission to increase interstate educational opportunities for students in its member states. The program enables residents of Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Ohio, Nebraska, North Dakota, and Wisconsin to enroll in the institutions and specified programs located outside their home state at reduced tuition levels. Contact Admissions for more information.

Students from Other Countries

Prospective students living outside the United States and its possessions should contact the Office of International Student and Scholar Services (below) at least one year before the date of desired admission for information about application to the university. Applicants will be expected to supply official original secondary and college/university transcripts from all schools attended as well as other official original documents. International students must also pay a $40 application fee. All students should make arrangements to take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) well in advance of their admission date.

Since 1998, all students in F-1 and J-1 status have been required to purchase an inexpensive insurance policy with coverage for illness and accidents, billed to the student’s UMSL account. For details contact:

Office of International Student and Scholar Services
261 Student Millennium Center
One University Boulevard
St. Louis, MO 63121-4400
Phone: 314-516-5229
Email: iss@umsl.edu

Or visit the Office of International Students website. 

*The residency rules will be changing as of July 30, 2017. If you will be attending after this date, please be sure to review the new rules as the changes may allow your status to be changed to Missouri resident.

Returning UMSL Students

Students wishing to return to the University will be required to complete a returning student application and provide official transcripts from other colleges and universities attended since last enrolled as a UMSL student. Students returning must have a minimum 2.0 cumulative GPA. Students who have below a 2.0 GPA from UMSL will be required to work with the Office of Student Retention Services.

The returning student application is available on-line, in person at 351 Millennium Student Center, or by calling the Office of Admissions at 314-516-5451.

Admission for Students Not Seeking an UMSL Degree

Visiting Students

A visiting student is one who has completed at least one semester at another institution and plans to return to that college or university after attending UMSL. To qualify as a visiting student, applicants must be an actively enrolled student at another college or university. Visiting student applications are available on-line. No application fee required. Transcripts are not required for visiting students. At the end of the session, students must request that their grades be reported by transcript to their respective schools. Financial aid is not available for visiting students.

Non-Degree-Seeking Students

A non-degree-seeking student is someone interested in taking classes but not wanting a degree from UMSL. Often these are students who have degrees but want to take additional undergraduate classes for personal or professional development. To become a non-degree-seeking student, applicants complete the application for admission and mark "non-degree-seeking." No application fee is required. No transcripts are required; however, the admission applies only for that particular semester. To attend for another semester, the student must reapply.

Students wishing to become degree-seeking must meet the minimum transfer student requirements of 24 transferable, college-credit hours at a 2.3 GPA. Students may not switch from non-degree to degree-seeking after the first four weeks of the semester.

The non-degree application is available on-line, in person at 351 Millennium Student Center, or by calling 314-516-5451. Financial aid is not available for non-degree seeking students.

UMSL Express

UMSL Express provides Missouri’s senior citizens (65 and older) easy access to undergraduate courses without limit on an audit (not for credit) space-available basis. Graduate courses are not available through this program. Students are subject to: non-refundable $25 registration fee, a parking fee, and course-related fees. Former UMSL Express students who reapply for the program must again pay the registration fee. UMSL Express applicants may obtain a registration form on-line, in person at 269 Millennium Student Center, or by calling 314-516-5545. Students should complete and return the form with proof of age to the Office of the Registrar on the day before classes are scheduled to begin.