Requirements for the Minor
Candidates must complete a minimum of 15 hours of courses taught by or cross-listed with the Psychology Department, including at least 6 hours at the 3000 or 4000 level (no more than 3 of these can be PSYCH 3390). Candidates must have a cumulative grade point average of 2.0 or higher in the minor. Psychology courses taken on a satisfactory/unsatisfactory basis may not be applied to the minor.
Graduates of the Minor in Psychology at UM-St. Louis will be able to:
Psychological Sciences Knowledge Base:
- Apply basic psychological terminology, concepts and theories to explain behavior and mental processes.
- Discuss practical applications of psychological principles and science within their major area of study and to everyday life.
Scientific Inquiry and Critical Thinking:
- Identify and describe the potential for flaws in behavioral explanations based on simplistic, personal theories and demonstrate an appreciation for psychology as a science.
- Summarize criteria and strategies for identifying objective sources of psychological information.
- Express in writing basic concepts and findings from the psychological sciences.
- Interpret quantitative data displayed in graphs and tables.
Ethical and Social Responsibility:
- Consider ethical issues that reflect principles in the APA Ethics Code.
- Describe how knowledge and skills from the psychological sciences apply to business, health care, educational, and other workplace settings.