Autism Studies Graduate Certificate
The mission of the certificate program is:
- To improve current preparation of teachers and related educational practitioners in the greater St. Louis area with dedicated coursework that increases program participants’ understanding and skills necessary to providing comprehensive and holistic programming (in areas of academic, social, functional, and life skills) that addresses the unique characteristics of individuals with Autism.
- To provide contemporary, best practices-based preparation of professionals who specialize in the treatment of individuals with autism spectrum disorders (ASD) and/or who work collaboratively with school personnel to recognize and follow the ASD profile that best educates the students
- To gain greater understanding of challenges faced by families of individuals with ASD
- To prepare personnel to educate and support individuals with ASD, which includes autism, Asperger Syndrome, and other pervasive developmental disorders
- To address the complex needs of students with ASD, including those who require intensive and highly individualized programs, to those who require less intensive modifications to succeed in their educational, functional, and life goals
- To increase the current body of scholarly and applied knowledge pertaining to the science and practice in areas of cognitive disability studies.
A. Special Education Concentration I: 9 hours 1
|SPEC ED 6415||Disability Law and Policy||3|
|SPEC ED 6437||Applied Behavior Analysis: Functional Assessment and Interventions||3|
|ED PSY 6545||Consultation in Schools and Related Settings||3|
B. Autism and Developmental Disabilities Concentration II: 9 hours
|SPEC ED 6430||Characteristics and Education of Individuals with Low-Incidence Disabilities||3|
|SPEC ED 6610||Foundations of Autism Spectrum Disorder: Research to Practice||3|
|SPEC ED 6620||Assessment and Interventions for Children and Youth with Autism Spectrum Disorder||3|
The first three courses in the autism certificate are the same as those in the M.Ed. Special Education Concentration I.
Total Hours: Minimum 18 credit hours