Sport Management BS
UMSL’s Bachelor of Science in Sport Management is an interdisciplinary, professional degree program that prepares students for a wide array of sport-related careers. The curriculum is balanced between educational-community athletics and the business aspects of sport. The coursework provides the knowledge, skills, and practical experiences needed to coordinate school, community, and non-profit sport programs as well as to work with collegiate and professional minor and major league sports teams in a variety of capacities. This foundation provides a springboard to further specialization within the student’s area of interest via a variety of electives, minors, field experiences and internships.
General Education Requirements
Students must satisfy the university general education requirements.
As part of meeting the university's general education requirements, the following courses prerequisite courses must be completed:
|BUS AD 1000||Introduction to Business||3|
|COMM 1040||Introduction to Public Speaking (MOTR COMM 110)||3|
|ECON 1001||Principles of Microeconomics (MOTR ECON 102)||3|
|ENGL 1100||First-Year Writing (MOTR ENGL 200)||3|
|MATH 1030||College Algebra (MOTR MATH 130)||3|
|PSYCH 1003||General Psychology (MOTR PSYC 100)||3|
There is no foreign language requirement for the degree.
|MGMT 3600||Management and Organizational Behavior||3|
|MKTG 3700||Basic Marketing||3|
|PSYCH 2400||Sports Psychology||3|
|SPMGT 1113||Introduction to Sport Management and Administration||3|
|SPMGT 2200||Legal and Ethical Issues in Sports||3|
|SPMGT 4113||Educational and Community Athletics||3|
|SPMGT 4999||Sport Management Internship||6|
|Choose five of the following courses: 1||15|
|Interpersonal Skills in Helping Relationships|
|Special Topics in Communication|
|Economics of Sports, Gaming, and Gambling|
|Advanced Management and Organizational Behavior|
|Human Resource Management|
|Introduction to Digital Marketing Strategies|
|Personal Physical Fitness|
|Sports Media and Technology|
|Sport Management Field Experience|
Students may take up to six hours from any area as pre-approved by advisor.
Students may take up to six hours of SPMGT 4990.
This program is planning for accreditation by the Commission on Sport Management Accreditation (COSMA). Upon completion of the program, graduates will be able to:
- Apply an interdisciplinary foundation of management, sports, and marketing theories to a variety of sports management settings.
- Develop a marketing toolbox that integrates theories with the fundamental aspects of sports, sports products, consumer and market research, sponsorship, promotion and media.
- Examine and explore the legal environments of amateur, collegiate, and professional sports programs with respect to state and federal legislation, liability, risk management, contracts, and collective bargaining.
- Demonstrate the ability to manage sports facilities to apply key concepts of planning, design, and evaluation of a sports program or sports-related event.
- Develop and refine leadership and communication skills necessary within a sports organization and team-oriented sports institutions.
- Recognize and evaluate ethical decision-making, balancing economic priorities and social responsibilities of sports organizations.
- Demonstrate socio-cultural commitment and responsibility in any given sports management environment.
|ENGL 1100||3||BUS AD 1000||3|
|SPMGT 1113||3||BIOL 1012|
& BIOL 1013
|COMM 1040||3||ECON 1001||3|
|MATH 1030||3||EXPLORE - Math and Life/Natural Sciences||3|
|EXPLORE- Math and Life/Natural Sciences||3||Elective||2|
|PSYCH 1003||3||Program Elective||3|
|SPMGT 2200||3||CORE - US History and Government||3|
|CORE - Information Literacy||3||EXPLORE - Humanities and Fine Arts||3|
|EXPLORE - Math and Life/Natural Sciences||3||Elective or minor||6|
|EXPLORE - Humanities and Fine Arts||3|
|Elective or minor||3|
|Program Elective||3||PSYCH 2400||3|
|EXPLORE - Humanities and Fine Arts||3||MKTG 3700||3|
|Elective or Minor||9||Program Elective||3|
|Elective or minor||6|
|MGMT 3600||3||SPMGT 4113||3|
|SPMGT 4999||3||SPMGT 4999||3|
|Program Elective||6||Elective or minor||6|
|Elective or minor||3|
|Total Hours: 120|