Educational Studies BES, Exercise Science and Wellness Emphasis
The Bachelor of Educational Studies (BES) is perfect for students excited about education, but looking for challenges outside the traditional classroom. The BES will prepare you for a career as an educator in many agencies. Many institutions emphasize informal learning and many different settings. Employers at these institutions are eager to hire people who have training and relevant experience in education, management, marketing, and technology. This degree is designed to be a creative, flexible, and inter-disciplinary bachelor’s degree that emphasizes practical skills in multiple settings.
General Education Requirements
Students follow the University's General Education Requirements, Mathematical Skills, Advanced Expository Writing, American History and Government, and Cultural Diversity Requirements. Students pursuing the Exercise Science emphasis area must take BIOL 1012 and BIOL 1013.
Foundations (Required Courses)
|TCH ED 1001||Early Clinical Experience: Community Agency||1|
|TCH ED 2000||Becoming a Professional Educator||1|
|EDUC 2002||Social Entrepreneurship||3|
|CNS ED 2030||Cultural Diversity and Social Advocacy||3|
|EDUC 2222||Interpretation: Connecting Audiences and Meaning||3|
|ED PSY 2212||Child and Adolescent Development||3|
|PHY ED 2136||Facilities Management||3|
|EDUC 3170||Grant Proposal Writing for Educators||3|
|CNS ED 3200||Interpersonal Skills in Helping Relationships||3|
|ED FND 3251||Black Americans in Education||3|
|MKTG 3721||Introduction to Digital Marketing Strategies||3|
|ED TECH 4302||Educational Technology Instruction in Educational Agencies||3|
Emphasis Area Requirements
|PHY ED 1124||Principles and Practice in 1st Aid and Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation||1|
|HLTH PE 3434||Teaching of Health and Wellness||4|
|HLTH PE 3284||Physiology of Human Exercise||3|
|HLTH PE 3285||Safety and Emergency Care for Health and Physical Education||3|
|HLTH PE 3380||Introduction to Nutrition for Health and Performance||3|
|HLTH PE 3280||Human Anatomy and Physiology||4|
|PHY ED 2134||Personal Physical Fitness||3|
|PHY ED 3287||Seminar in Exercise Science||3|
|PHY ED 3283||Kinesiology||3|
|PHY ED 3330||Designing Physical Activity Programs||3|
|PHY ED 3931||Adult Exercise Leadership||3|
|EDUC 4989||Internship I||1|
|EDUC 4990||Internship II||6|
|EDUC 4991||Internship III||6|
|MEDIA ST 2211||Introduction to Digital Multimedia Production||3|
|MEDIA ST 2222||Convergence and Digital Media||3|
|MGMT/SOC 3600||Management and Organizational Behavior||3|
Upon completion of the program, graduates will be able to:
- Engage their clients while adding diverse perspectives that articulate how difference shapes experience and human identity.
- Apply their unique understanding of social justice by addressing institutional and social barriers that limit access, equity, and achievement.
- Conduct themselves in a respectful and professional manner that views failure as an opportunity to learn, as they effectively work on multiple projects.
- Apply reasoning and critical thinking while making connections between information, data, and arguments to synthesize and interpret information, forming valid conclusions.
- Apply unique leadership, management and communication skills to articulate thoughts/ideas effectively using oral, written, nonverbal, and visual communication skills in a variety of formats and contexts.
- Apply wellness and exercise principles and practices needed in emergency sports and exercise regimens.
- Design unique fitness programs based on the acquired knowledge on safety, nutrition, and wellness, to benefit clients in a diverse fitness industry, including adult exercise programs.
Sample Four Year Plan
|TCH ED 1000||1||HIST 1001 or 1002||3|
|ENGL 1100||3||ED TECH 2230||3|
|COMM 1040||3||EXPLORE - Social Sciences||3|
|MATH 1020 or 1030||3||EXPLORE - Humanities and Fine Arts||3|
|EXPLORE - Social Sciences||3||EXPLORE - Math and Sciences||3|
|EXPLORE - Humanities and Fine Arts||3|
|ED PSY 2212||3||EDUC 2002||3|
|CNS ED 3200||3||HLTH PE 3280||4|
|TCH ED 1001||1||PHY ED 2136||3|
|TCH ED 2000||1||PHY ED 3287||3|
|EXPLORE - Humanities and Fine Arts||3||EXPLORE - Math and Sciences||3|
|EXPLORE - Math and Sciences||3|
|HLTH PE 3284||3||EDUC 3170||3|
|HLTH PE 3285||3||PHY ED 1124||1|
|PHY ED 2134||3||PHY ED 3283||3|
|ED FND 3251||3||PHY ED 3330||3|
|ENGL 3100||3||PHY ED 3931||3|
|HLTH PE 3380||3|
|HLTH PE 3434||4||EDUC 4990||6|
|MKTG 3721||3||EDUC 4991||6|
|ED TECH 4302||3||CNS ED 2030||3|
|Total Hours: 123|
PLEASE NOTE: This plan is an example of what a four year plan could look like for a typical student. Placement exam scores in math as well as the completion of coursework may change the plan. It should not be used in the place of regular academic advising appointments. All students are encouraged to meet with their advisor. All requirements are subject to change.